[GAP Forum] Generating Set for Special Linear Groups

Stephen Linton sal at cs.st-andrews.ac.uk
Mon Jun 6 10:51:56 BST 2011

Dear GAP Forum,

As Peter has already reported, if you simply want a generating set then GeneratorsOfGroup is the appropriate function.
As you will see from the documentation (try ?GeneratorsSmallest for instance), the functions you called: GeneratorsSmallest and MinimalGeneratingSet
make much stronger promises about the result, which GAP has to do much more work to achieve.

An intermediate choice is SmallGeneratingSet, which tries heuristically to reduce the size of the set it returns, but makes no firm promises.

The error message from MinimalGeneratingSet is confusing,  but, in fact GAP has no way to compute this function for general groups. In the next release you will get the rather more helpful error message:

Error, `MinimalGeneratingSet' currently assumes that the group must be solvable.
In general, try `SmallGeneratingSet' instead, which returns a generating
set that is small but not of guarateed smallest cardinality

It is also possible, looking at the error message that you have mixed up g and G. Remember that GAP is case-sensitive.

Yours

	Steve Linton