[GAP Forum] Construction of a group unsing a multiplication table.

Stephen Linton sal at cs.st-andrews.ac.uk
Wed Jun 1 14:10:44 BST 2011

Dear GAP Forum,

Marc Bogaerts asked about realising a particular group construction in GAP>

If I read the description correctly, this group is generated by N and i = (-1,1_N) with the following rules

n*i = i*n^t
i^2 = g

One approach that would work to build this in GAP for a pretty good range of groups
would be make N as a finitely-presented group N = <n_1..n_k | R> and then simply add i as an additional generator

G = <i,n_1..n_k | R , n_j*i = i*n_j^t, i^2 = g>

GAP should be able to study this group for a pretty decent range of sizes of N. The starting point is IsomorphismFpGroup.

An alternative approach would be to use the technique described in section 4.12 of the reference manual to implement your
elements directly.

	Steve