[GAP Forum] About Normalizer

Joe Bohanon jbohanon2 at gmail.com
Wed May 11 22:47:05 BST 2011

In this case, PSL(2,9) is small enough to just construct the entire lattice,
so you could do:

gap> Filtered(List(ConjugacyClassesSubgroups(G),Representative),i->Size(i)=8
and IsDihedralGroup(i));
[ Group([ (3,4)(5,8)(6,9)(7,10), (3,6,4,9)(5,7,8,10), (1,2)(5,10)(6,9)(7,8)
]) ]
gap> Normalizer(G,last[1]);
Group([ (3,4)(5,8)(6,9)(7,10), (3,6,4,9)(5,7,8,10), (1,2)(5,10)(6,9)(7,8) ])

Now, let's say you have a bigger group for which this is not possible. Given
your setup, you can run:

List(IsomorphicSubgroups(G,H),Image);

to get all of the subgroups you want. Isomorphic subgroups returns
isomorphisms, so you could also start with a representation of H that you
like, and run it on that.

For several large simple groups there's also a table of marks library that
has things like subgroup lattices and maximal subgroups already stored.

For a group where you can still get conjugacy classes, you can also just
take random pairs of involutions (actually, you'd just fix one from a
conjugacy class and randomize the other one), until their product has order
4.

There are ways to still get this to work in groups too big for
ConjugacyClasses to successfully run given your memory assuming you can
still find (pseudo)-random elements.

Of course, you can tweak all this to your needs for other subgroups.

Joe