[GAP Forum] Alnuth: FactorsPolynomialKant

Anja Heinisch anja.heinisch at gmx.de
Wed Mar 30 19:12:24 BST 2011

Dear GAP Forum,

I want to factor polynomials over an algebraic field extension created
by FieldByMatrices or FieldByPolynomial. There is a method
FactorsPolynomialKant(L, poly) listed in the Alnuth package
documentation, see
http://www.gap-system.org/Manuals/pkg/alnuth/htm/CHAP002.htm.
As far as I can see this doesn't seem to work properly, the example
given there results in the following:

gap> x := Indeterminate( Rationals, "x" );;
gap> pol := 2*x^7+2*x^5+8*x^4+8*x^2;
2*x^7+2*x^5+8*x^4+8*x^2
gap> L := FieldByPolynomial( x^3-4 );
<algebraic extension over the Rationals of degree 3>
gap> y := Indeterminate( L, "y" );;
gap> FactorsPolynomialKant( L, pol );
Function: number of arguments must be 1 (not 2)
not in any function
Entering break read-eval-print loop ...

Looking in pkg/alnuth/gap/factors.gi, I found that there seems to be no
function matching the suggested signature in the example (especially
FactorsPolynomialKant only takes one argument <pol>).

If anyone had any ideas at all on how to solve this issue I'd be happy
if you'd let me know.

Thanks a lot,
Anja