[GAP Forum] labels in xgap

Russ Woodroofe russw at math.wustl.edu
Wed Mar 23 01:38:32 GMT 2011

	Dear William,
	Here's a short sample, which relabels an inserted Sylow 2-subgroup of S_4 as P_2:

G:=SymmetricGroup(4);
Sym( [ 1 .. 4 ] )

L:=GraphicSubgroupLattice(G);
<graphic subgroup lattice "GraphicSubgroupLattice">

H:=SylowSubgroup(G,2);
Group([ (1,2), (3,4), (1,3)(2,4) ])

ret:=InsertVertex(L, H);
[ <vertex of graphic graph, label: "2", Serial:6>, true ]

Relabel(L, ret[1], "P_2");

	I think you should be able to work this around to your own situation.

	The subgroup lattice library seems to internally use Relabel to label the vertices, and I don't see it pulling information from the subgroup itself -- though I didn't look terribly carefully.  But the above sample should make relabeling things under program control not too inconvenient...

	Sincerely,

						--Russ Woodroofe

PS:  If you're using a Mac, let me recommend my native "Gap.app" front-end, which is a workalike for xgap.  Available at
http://cocoagap.sourceforge.net/