[GAP Forum] multiplication tables of double coset representatives

Asst. Prof. Dmitrii (Dima) Pasechnik dima at ntu.edu.sg
Sun Feb 13 10:55:29 GMT 2011

Dear Pooja Singla,

I would u talk about the equivalent setup of the algebra of orbitals
of G in its action on the (say, left) cosets of H  in G.
You can use GRAPE (a GAP package) to compute the
multiplication coefficients, or a (not yet official) GAP package
cohcfg:
http://www1.spms.ntu.edu.sg/~dima/software/cohcfg-a1.tgz
(you need to install it by, say, unpacking into the pkg/ subdirectory
of your GAP installation)

It has functions to compute the multiplication coefficients (a.k.a.
structure constants):

#(here is an example for S_5 acting on pairs of {1..5})
gap> LoadPackage("cohcfg");;
gap>g:=Action(SymmetricGroup(5),Orbit(SymmetricGroup(5),[1,2],OnSets),OnSets);;
gap> A:=TwoOrbitNumbers(g);;
# (here  (1,2,3)=(k,i,j))
gap> StructureConstantTwoOrbitsAlgebra(A,1,2,3);
0

# computing the regular representation of the algebra, i.e. an
#isomorphism to a certain algebra of nxn marices
gap> RegularRepresentationMatrices(A);

(sorry, there is still no manual, and the function names are going  to
be changed, but the code is sufficiently documented, and you are
welcome to ask more about its functionality -- it can do much more
than just computing these multiplication coefficients)

Hope this helps,
Dmitrii
http://www.ntu.edu.sg/home/dima/