[GAP Forum] Schreier system of representatives

Alexander Hulpke ahulpke at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 23:36:56 GMT 2011

Dear Forum, Dear Bartosz Putrycz,

On Jan 20, 2011, at 12:31 PM, Bartosz Putrycz wrote:

> Dear Forum,
>
> I am interested in obtaining Schreier system of representatives of right
> cosets of a subgroup of a finitely presented group.
> http://eom.springer.de/S/s083400.htm
>
> Let G = F/R, H<  G. Could I be sure that
> RightTransversal(G,H)
> will give me such system?
> I guess that there could be silent assumption that generators(alphabet) are
> the generators of a free group F.

This is true with the only caveat that ``right cosets'' in GAP parlance mean Sg, while the linked web page seems to describe cosets gS.
The alphabet indeed are the (images in G) of the free generators.

Best wishes,

    Alexander Hulpke

-- Colorado State University, Department of Mathematics,
Weber Building, 1874 Campus Delivery, Fort Collins, CO 80523-1874, USA
email: hulpke at math.colostate.edu, Phone: ++1-970-4914288
http://www.math.colostate.edu/~hulpke