[GAP Forum] computerised exams for computer algebra courses?

Asst. Prof. Dmitrii (Dima) Pasechnik dima at ntu.edu.sg
Thu Jan 20 01:36:44 GMT 2011

On 20 January 2011 08:32, Alexander Konovalov
<alexk at mcs.st-andrews.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi Dima,
>
> On 19 Jan 2011, at 06:05, Asst. Prof. Dmitrii (Dima) Pasechnik wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I will be teaching an "Experimental mathematics" (with elements of
>> computer algebra, and in
>> particular GAP) course next year, and
>> I am looking for sources/howtos, etc., on conducting computerised
>> exams for such a course.
>
> It's not precisely clear what do you or your school mean by a computerised exam:
> 1) computer-generated exam papers where each student will have a different set of questions?
> 2) students passing exam on a computer doing their calculations on paper and entering answers?
> 3) computer algebra system as a back-end of this system to verify the answer in real time?
> 4) a combination of this features?
> 5) something else? or are you happy with exam papers where there are no questions asking for
> definitions and proofs?

Mostly 1), 2), and 5) --- namely, we would like to examine the ability
to write elementary (and working!) pieces
of computer code. Doing this on paper is a pain.

>> In my school this is presently not done, so we need to find out how to
>> set such a thing
>> up properly, without spending too much time and money on it.
>
> Several links may be worth to look:
>
> http://www.math.rwth-aachen.de/~OKUSON/ by Frank and Max
> http://moodle.org/
> http://java.symcomp.org/

well, unfortunately, our school uses Blackboard, which is a nightmare,
as soon as nontrivial
tasks have to be implemented...

--
Dmitrii Pasechnik
-----

CONFIDENTIALITY: This email is intended solely for the person(s) named and may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it, notify us and do not copy, use, or disclose its content. Thank you.

Towards A Sustainable Earth: Print Only When Necessary