[GAP Forum] Help_GAP-groups

Alexander Hulpke ahulpke at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 18:32:22 GMT 2011

Dear Forum,

On Jan 16, 2011, at 1/16/11 4:49, Junio Moreira wrote:

> I'm always needing to learn more about the GAP-groups. Can anyone help me on the following question? Question: I have a list of 500 sublist where each sublist consists of six groups. Is there a command to display or renumber only those sublists with trivial intersection? Is there a function in GAP can solve this?

If the entries in the sublist are algebraic structures (i.e. ``trivial'' means order 1), you could use

Filtered(list,sub->Size(Intersection(sub))=1);

to give you a sublist of the desired entries.(replace 1 by 0 if trivial means empty)

 If instead you wanted the index numbers in your original list, you could use

Filtered([1..Length(list)],n->Size(Intersection(list[n]))=1);

Best,

   Alexander Hulpke

-- Colorado State University, Department of Mathematics,
Weber Building, 1874 Campus Delivery, Fort Collins, CO 80523-1874, USA
email: hulpke at math.colostate.edu, Phone: ++1-970-4914288
http://www.math.colostate.edu/~hulpke