[GAP Forum] Forum Digest, Vol 86, Issue 6

Alexander Hulpke ahulpke at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 15:35:57 GMT 2011

Dear Forum,

> Let the set of the number of sylow subgroup $G$ equal to group $PSL(2,7)$
> (that is {8,21,28}) .Whether by GAP we can say $G$ is solvable group
> or unsolvable group?

This is a question that is not really suitable for computer analysis -- clearly the answer is known and is `unsolvable'.

You might want to look in the book
Abstract Algebra by Dummit and Foote
I believe they show uniqueness of L3(2) as a simple group of order 168.

Best,

   Alexander Hulpke

-- Colorado State University, Department of Mathematics,
Weber Building, 1874 Campus Delivery, Fort Collins, CO 80523-1874, USA
email: hulpke at math.colostate.edu, Phone: ++1-970-4914288
http://www.math.colostate.edu/~hulpke