[GAP Forum] Analogue of IsFFEMatrixGroup for matrix groups over ZmodnZ

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Fri Jan 14 14:24:16 GMT 2011

Dear GAP forum

is there an analogue for IsFFEMatrixGroup and FieldOfMatrixGroup for groups over ZmodnZ ? Something like IsZmodnZMatrixGroup and RingOfMatrixGroup ? I didn't find anything like that. If it doesn't exist, how would I best go about adding those?

Background: I'd like to install my own methods for e.g. NiceMonomorphism for matrix groups over ZmodnZ. To illustrate why: for GL(3, Z/36Z), GAP currently finds a perm rep on 39312 points, my code finds one on 758 points (it doesn't do anything fancy or new, mind you)

For now, I just "manually" use SetNiceMonomorphism on my groups, but I thought it would be kinda nice to properly hook this into GAP (so that maybe it could even be integrated in a package or GAP itself one day).

Cheers,
Max