[GAP Forum] GAP installation on Ubuntu?

Alexander Konovalov alexander.konovalov at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 23:04:00 GMT 2010

Dear Keith,

On 15 Nov 2010, at 22:56, R. Keith Dennis wrote:

> Hi.  It seems that the GAP installation built-in to Ubuntu isn't complete
> - not all packages are there (and the directory structure might be a little
> different).

That's true, since it is running using Debian packages. Most Debian-based
GNU/Linux distributions contain .deb-packages with the core part of GAP and
a small number of the GAP packages. After an update or new release of GAP
it takes some time until these Linux distributions are updated to the newest
GAP version.

> Is there a standard way to add other packages to an Ubuntu installation?
>
> Or is it best to install a complete version in a separate location?

When I was using Ubuntu, my preference was a complete installation in my
preferred location, following the standard procedure as described at
http://www.gap-system.org/Download/UNIXInst.html

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Alexander