[GAP Forum] Enumeration in a matrix algebra

Erik Postma e.j.postma+gap at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 18:19:24 BST 2010

Hi Marc,

I'm sure better answers are possible (and probably forthcoming), but
the following may be good enough.

If your algebra has a nontrivial radical, then you can take an
arbitrary (nonzero) element of that. Otherwise, I would expect it's
much more efficient (in expectation) to try the elements in
pseudorandom order than in whatever is the default, to get around any
systematic effect that might put zero divisors later. Two trivial
examples:

gap> m:= [ [ 1, 1, 2 ], [ 1, 0, 3], [ 1, 0, 0 ] ];;
gap> A:= AlgebraWithOne( Rationals, [ m ] );
<algebra-with-one over Rationals, with 1 generators>
gap> ra := RadicalOfAlgebra(A);
<algebra of dimension 2 over Rationals>
gap> GeneratorsOfAlgebra(ra);
[ [ [ 0, 1, 2 ], [ 0, 0, 3 ], [ 0, 0, 0 ] ],
  [ [ 0, 0, 1 ], [ 0, 0, 0 ], [ 0, 0, 0 ] ] ]
gap> # These are all nilpotent.

gap> A2 := Rationals^[7,7];
( Rationals^[ 7, 7 ] )
gap> # Has a trivial radical.
gap> psr := PseudoRandom(A2);;
gap> while Determinant(psr) <> 0 or psr = Zero(A2) do
> psr := PseudoRandom(A2);
> od;
gap> # Now psr is nilpotent.

Hope this helps,