[GAP Forum] Possible bug with MinimalGeneratingSet()???

Joe Bohanon jbohanon2 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 04:06:26 BST 2010

Greg and Forum

You might find this link particularly helpful here:

http://mail.gap-system.org/pipermail/forum/2005/001109.html

For non-solvable groups, you can (sort of) get what you want with
"SmallGeneratingSet".  I would guess from the name that it's not necessarily
"Minimal", however, it can be very useful if you define a non-solvable
group, then try (for instance) asking for the center, and you get a subgroup
with 2 elements and 35 generators (I swear, I've seen that happen before).
In my experience, it does very well with permutation groups.  With groups
you define yourself via generators and relations, anything goes.

Joe