[GAP Forum] Possible bug with MinimalGeneratingSet()???

Greg Tener greg.d.tener at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 03:15:20 BST 2010

Dear GAP-forum,

There might be a problem with MinimalGeneratingSet().  It seems not to
work for a particular group, as shown in the following console
session:

"""
gap> g := Group( [ (1,2,3,4,5), (1,2,3) ] );
Group([ (1,2,3,4,5), (1,2,3) ])
gap> MinimalGeneratingSet(g);
Error, no method found! For debugging hints type ?Recovery from NoMethodFound
Error, no 2nd choice method found for
`IndependentGeneratorsOfAbelianGroup' on 1 arguments called from
IndependentGeneratorsOfAbelianGroup( G ) called from
<function>( <arguments> ) called from read-eval-loop
Entering break read-eval-print loop ...
you can 'quit;' to quit to outer loop, or
you can 'return;' to continue
"""

Am I doing something wrong or could this be a bug? I know nothing
about the internals of GAP so I cannot think why this would happen or
how to fix it.

Thanks,
-Greg Tener-