[GAP Forum] subgroups of GL(3,7)

Joe Bohanon jbohanon2 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 00:14:23 GMT 2010

Actually, I think this can be done at least for L3(11), but you'll have
to get down-and-dirty with the source code.

If you call ConjugacyClassesSubgroups on either of these groups, the
function that ends up being called (assuming you have the latest version
of GAP) is LatticeViaRadical.  In turn, this determines that the radical
group of GL(3,11) is a Z10, and it will try to construct the lattice of
L(3,11) first.  That's what's causing the exceeded memory errors.  If
GAP did eventually finish constructing these, it would then try
determining G:which of the lifted subgroups contain non-trivial
subgroups that do not contain the radical and do "lifting".  If you look
in the "lib" directory, these functions are in "grplatt.gi".

As Dmitiri suggested, you can look at the maximal subgroups, but even
better, you can look at the table of marks in GAP's library.  The bigger
ones in there were actually constructed using the maximal subgroup idea
(presented in a paper by Pfeiffer on the lattice of M24).  Here's a
basic list of commands that you can run.  Here, I'm assuming G is the
permutation representation of GL(3,7):

R:=RadicalGroup(G);
hom:=NaturalHomomorphismByNormalSubgroup(G,R);
H:=Image(hom);
tom:=TableOfMarks("L3(11)");
K:=UnderlyingGroup(tom);
iso:=IsomorphismGroups(H,K);
ccls:=List([1..Size(SubsTom(tom))],i->ConjugacyClassSubgroups(K,i));

At this point, you would copy the source code for "LatticeViaRadical"
into a new function, find the point at which it is trying to construct
the lattice of L(3,11), and skip that and instead of computing it, let
it be one of the arguments you feed in.

Again, I'm not 100% sure this will work, but I know that it is taking
what is probably the hardest part of the computation out of it.

This works on L3(11) and not L3(7) because in the case of GL(3,7),
modding out by the radical group gives you PGL which, for q=7 is not the
same as PSL.  GAP's TOM library does have L3(7) in there.  L3(13) is not
in there, but I constructed it using Pfeiffer's methods a few years
ago.  I can probably dig it up if you want it.

I have another way that I can construct lattices for groups like this
that I will try out and possible be able to send you, for GL(3,7).  (It
involves code that was given to me by someone else that I probably
shouldn't release).

Joe