[GAP Forum] How can I extend the "permitted memory"?

Joe Bohanon jbohanon2 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 12:18:43 GMT 2010

Oliver and Forum,

Here is how you can get what you want without StructureDescription (and
which I highly recommend for big groups):

Oliver's group was generated by

I20:=(1,2,4,8,16,11)(3,6,12)(5,10,20,19,17,13)(7,14)(9,18,15);
O20:=(2,3,5,9,17,14,8,15,10,19,18,16,12,4,7,13,6,11);

First off, given that this is a shuffle group, the structure is well
known and can be found here:

http://uoregon.edu/~kantor/PAPERS/PerfectShuffles.pdf

The answer to his question is that this group has the form Z2^10 : S10
or also the wreath product S2 wr S10.

However, to show how this can be achieved in GAP, first a brief
description of what StructureDescripton does.  Basically, you want to
find normal subgroups that tell a lot about the structure of G.  For
every one you find, you can say something about G, but finding the best
one is a bit difficult.  When you call StructureDescription it first
tries to determine if you have a "nice" group, where "nice" is anything
like "abelian", "dihedral", "simple", "symmetric" etc.  GAP has no
trouble recognizing gigantic groups if they fall in one of those
categories.  It can also easily find if you have a direct product.
Beyond that it essentially tries to compute the entire lattice using a
call to ConjugacyClassesSubgroups.  When you call that, the newest
version of GAP first finds the solvable radical S (the largest solvable
normal subgroup) and computes the lattice of G/S.  In this case, you had
S10.  For groups without a solvable radical, it uses
"LatticeByCyclicExtension", which starts with a call to "Zuppos" which
was the first place the call to StructureDescription gets bogged down.
The zuppos are cyclic subgroups of prime power order, of which there are
344,251 in S10.  I've seen GAP compute zuppos that high before, but it
takes quite a while.  GAP will use these to build the entire lattice
from the bottom up.  After this completes (and for S10, it might not,
unless you have a ton of memory), it pulls the subgroups it find back to
G, and tries to figure out, for each pre-imaged subgroup of S10, which
subgroups of 2^10 are invariant under it.  That's the second huge
problem with this group as 2^10 has gobs and gobs of subgroups.

So here's how I would approach this problem once I knew the size of the
group was too big to use StructureDescription for.

gap> N:=RadicalGroup(G);
<permutation group of size 1024 with 10 generators>
gap> StructureDescription(last);
"C2 x C2 x C2 x C2 x C2 x C2 x C2 x C2 x C2 x C2"
gap> StructureDescription(G/N);
"S10"

At this point, I know the group has the form Z2^10 . S10, but now I need
to know if it splits or not.  In this case, since N is solvable, I can run

gap> Complementclasses(G,N);
[ <permutation group with 19 generators>, <permutation group with 19
generators> ]

This says that GAP found what we need, so this is a split extension.  If
it returned [] we'd know it was non-split.

If you're dealing with a different groups where N is not solvable,
things are considerably more difficult.  The best solution I can come up
with is to run IsomorphicSubgroups(G,G/N), but many times this involves
calling StructureDescription, which I wanted to avoid in the first
place.  However, if G/N is small enough you might avoid that problem.

Hope this helps
Joe