[GAP Forum] Decomposing direct products of reps into irreps

Asst. Prof. Dmitrii (Dima) Pasechnik dima at ntu.edu.sg
Thu Mar 18 17:52:22 GMT 2010

Dear Krishna,

Presuming you are talking about representations over complex numbers,
GAP can easily tell you with which multiplicities the irreducible
representations appear
in the representation P you have. For this you just need to compute
its character x(P).
Then computing the scalar products of x(P) with the characters of the
irreducible
representations (available in the character table) of your group will
give you this information.

Doing the actual decomposition into the direct sum of the irreducibles
is also doable
by the brute-force method described e.g. in the 1st part of J.Serre's
book "Linear representations of finite groups" (look for "explicit
decomposition of a representation"),
but there seems to be no GAP code publicly available that actually
does this computation.
(I wrote such code a while ago, and could e-mail it to you, although
it's by no means
finished or anything...)

Best,
Dmitrii