[GAP Forum] Encode Homomorphism Between Groups

Alexander Hulpke hulpke at me.com
Tue Jan 26 05:24:42 GMT 2010

Dear Forum,

Jeffrey Rolland asked:

> The semidirect product group G is Q |x S, where Q = Z, the integers
> (i.e., the free group on 1 generator), P = SL(2,5), and S = P_1*P_2*P_3
> (three copies of P). (I have successfully coded the groups into GAP.)
>
> Now, the matrices A = [[0 1][4 0]] and B = [[0 1][4 1]] (row vectors) in
> SL(2,5) have the property that \Xi(A) is not equal to B or B^{-1} for
> any \Xi \in Aut(P). (This result can be proven using the Jordan normal
> forms of A and B, or verified directly using Maple, e.g., and the fact
> that Aut(P) is isomorphic to PGL(2,5).)
>
> Let A_2 be the copy of A in P_2 and A_3 be the copy of A in P_3, and
> similarly for B_@ and B_3.
>
> An automorphism \phi of S can be defined by setting \phi(X_1) =
> (A_1A_2)^{-1}X_1(A_1A_2) for X_! in P_1 and \phi(X_2) = X_2 and
> \phi(X_3) = X_3 for X_2 \in P_2 and X_3 \in P_3.
>
> Similarly, an automorphism \psi of S can be defined by setting \psi(X_1)
> = (B_1B_2)^{-1}X_1(B_1B_2) for X_! in P_1 and \psi(X_2) = X_2 and
> \psi(X_3) = X_3 for X_2 \in P_2 and X_3 \in P_3.
>
> Now, I wish to create a homomorphism \Phi: Q -> Aut(S) by sending
> \Phi(q) = \phi^q (\phi composed with itself q times) and \Psi: Q -> S by
> sending \Psi(q) = \psi^q (\psi composed with itself q times).

This is (see below) not yet a full solution, but it might help you further:

Firstly, as you get the FP group anyhow from a routine, the cost of using *your* generators A and B is neglegible. (This holds for SL(2,5), clearly for other groups there can be a substantial benefit for some generators).

f:=GF(5);