[GAP Forum] Error, hash table in infinite loop called from LookupDictionary( ht, x )

Attila Egri-Nagy A.Egri-Nagy at herts.ac.uk
Sat Jan 23 20:29:58 GMT 2010

Dear Forum,

I have some trouble with using dictionaries. I'm doing breadth-first
search in a transformation semigroup and for keeping track of the
processed elements,  I create this dictionary:

processed := NewDictionary(T[1],false, TransformationFamily);

T is the list of generators, so I use the first one as a sample object.

The search is running without any problem, then suddenly I get this:

Error, hash table in infinite loop called from
LookupDictionary( ht, x ) called from
KnowsDictionary( processed, t ) called from
PermutatorSemigroup( petrigens, node ) called from
<function>( <arguments> ) called from read-eval-loop

I checked dict.gi and it seems that there is a hardcoded limit in the
global variable HASH_RANGE, but its purpose is not immediate. Could
anyone advise me regarding this problem.

Thank You!

best wishes,
attila egri-nagy