[GAP Forum] use of GrpConst package

Walter Becker w_becker at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 4 16:10:17 BST 2009

Dear forum readers:

I am trying to get the Group Constructions package of Besche and Eick to determine the number of groups of certain orders, namely 8*17^3, and groups in the sequences p^4*q with the p-group the normal subgroup with p=1 mod(q) and q = plus or minus one mod(3). One gets results for cases with q=-1 mod(3) for 5, but for the cases with q=1 mod(3), e.g., q=7 and p=29 (the lowest order case) GrpConst seems to fail.

Is this a result of a GAP error noted sometime ago or an inherent limitation of the GrpConst package itself?

In the case of the groups of order 8*17^3: I ran the cases for the orders 8p^3 for p=3,5,7,11 and the time it took GrpConst

get these groups was: 8969, 20203,21297, and 52688 (milliseconds ?) . The cases for 13 and 17 did not complete ---the number of groups in these cases is not much greater that in the ones already done----any idea what the problem is here.

Comments

Walter Becker