[GAP Forum] listing all semidirect products

Benjamin Sambale bsambale at gmx.de
Tue Jun 16 08:14:40 BST 2009

There is only one semidirect product of S_3 with S_3 (up to isomorphism)
namely S_3\times S_3. This can easily be shown, since Out(S_3)=Z(S_3)=1
(where Out is the outer automorphism group and Z is the center).

And there are indeed 10 homomorphisms from S_3 to S_3. This can be shown
with the following GAP code (or by hand):

LoadPackage("sonata");
Size(Homomorphisms(SymmetricGroup(3),SymmetricGroup(3)));

But all these homomorphisms lead to the same semidirect product (up to
isomorphism).