[GAP Forum] Permutation Representation of 3.McL.2

Stephen Linton sal at cs.st-andrews.ac.uk
Tue May 5 19:54:03 BST 2009

Dear Joe, dear GAP Forum,

There is a standard trick for this situation, which comes in two
parts, depending on whether the 66k point perm rep is taken to an
equivalent or an inequivalent representation by the outer automorphism
of 3.Mcl

In the inequivalent case, it's very easy. Call the original
representation rho and the image under the outer automorphism rho'.
You take twice as many points, with 3McL acting as rho on one half and
rho' on the other. Adjoin an involution exchanging the two halves and
you're done.

In the equivalent case you have to do a little more work. You find
words for a transversal of the points in your standard generators
w_1,....w_66k
Now you make the same words in the images of the generators under the
automorphism, call the resulting set of group elements x_1..x_66k.
The permutation which maps 1 to 1.x_1, 2 to 1.x_2, 3 to 1.x_3 and so
on extends the representation to 3 McL.2.

	Steve