[GAP Forum] Printing Groups to a file

Joe Bohanon jbohanon2 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 16:58:35 GMT 2009

I'm working on a project where I need to print groups to a file pretty
regularly (using PrintTo).  The issue is that I lose all of the underlying
components when I do so, particularly the size of the groups.  Is there any
way to have GAP print some more details of the group to a file, like the
size, for instance?  Right now, if I really need the sizes, I print a size
vector to the file and use SetSize when I read it fresh.

Size is really the only thing I would currently need, so if printing the
entire record to disk would double, triple, etc. the disk space involved,
that would not be very helpful as the file is already 800MB with just the
generators!

Thanks
Joe