[GAP Forum] Sampling elements in conjugacy classes of the symmetric group

John Dixon jdixon at math.carleton.ca
Wed Feb 4 21:37:33 GMT 2009

Each conjugacy class of  S_n is determined by the cycle structure of its
elements. A quick way to find a random cycle structure with probability
proportional to the size of the corresponding class is as follows.  If
it is only the cycle structure which you need this is faster than
finding a random element of  S_n.

    Set m := n and clist := []
    While m > 0 do
       {Choose  k  (uniformly) at random from [1..m]
       Add k to the clist and set m  := m-k}
    return clist

    The resulting clist should be read as a list of cycle lengths.
    [ See Dixon and Mortimer, "Permutation Groups", Springer 1996,
Exercise 3.6.6.]

       - John Dixon