[GAP Forum] (no subject)

Frank Lübeck frank.luebeck at math.rwth-aachen.de
Sun Dec 28 16:07:36 GMT 2008

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 11:00:53AM -0800, hossein akhlaghi wrote:
> I want to know how i can get the Brauer Table of PSL(4,4) modulo 7.
> I try to obtain it by GAP, but it return this message " #I    computing class matrix for class of size >10^-6".

This message just indicates that the computation of the (complex) character
table of PSL(4,4) is quite hard: It takes 6 or more hours, depending on your
computer.

I think you cannot compute the 7-modular table with a simple GAP command.

Nevertheless, the complex character table and the 7-modular table are
available in GAP's character table library, e.g., try the following
commands:

LoadPackage("ctbllib");
tab := CharacterTable("L4(4)");
tabmod7 := tab mod 7;
Display(tab);
Display(tabmod7);
LoadPackage("Browse");
Browse(tab);
Browse(tabmod7);

Hope this helps,

  Frank Luebeck

--
///  Dr. Frank Lübeck, Lehrstuhl D für Mathematik, Templergraben 64,  ///
\\\                    52062 Aachen, Germany                          \\\