[GAP Forum] Crime Package. Memory Question.

German Combariza combariza at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 03:01:51 GMT 2008

Dear Forum,

I am trying to compute the cohomology ring of the
SmallGroup=(256,26973);

Using the crime package, but looks like I am having a memory error.

When  run in windows, I do:

C:\GAP4R4\bin\gapw95.exe -m 256m -o 3g -l C:\GAP4R4\ %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8

gap> LoadPackage("crime");;
gap> N:=SmallGroup(256,26973);
gap> C:=CohomologyObject(N);;
gap> CohomologyGenerators(5);

and after a time, the program said that can not extend the memory and
finish. I can compute CohomologyGenerators(3); but no more.

Whe I do it in linux, I do:

gap -m 256m -o 16g
gap> LoadPackage("crime");;
gap> N:=SmallGroup(256,26973);
gap> C:=CohomologyObject(N);;
gap> CohomologyGenerators(5);

Here the answer is: "Segmentatio fault". I have checked the memory, and
looks like GAP is not using the whole memory of the computer (16G), just a
2% or 3%.

I really appreciate any help.

Thank.