[GAP Forum] Obtaining Small Group information

Joe Bohanon jbohanon2 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 19:51:21 GMT 2008

I would point out that StructureDescription might not always return a group
the way you'd like it.  The manual explains a little more about how it picks
a particular form for the structure.

That function also does not do anything with central products.  Hence if I
type:
StructureDescription(SmallGroup(32,50)) I get:
"(C2 x Q8) : C2" when it's also a central product of Q8 with D8.  It returns
some pretty awkward answers for other larger central products.

It also will usually not let you know how the split or non-split extensions
work, so you might get two non-isomorphic groups that return the same
"StructureDescription".

Also be forewarned that many times GAP will just compute the whole subgroup
lattice to find a structure, so any group that would take a long time with
LatticeByCyclicExtension or ConjugacyClassesSubgroups is likely to take a
long time for StructureDescription.  This would include, for instance,
2-groups of rank more than 5, groups with large permutation representations
or large matrix representations and also finitely-presented groups.  It does
have a separate routine for any simple group that spits out the answer due
to the classification in almost no time, however, while it could easily tell
me a group is isomorphic to, say U4(3), it would take much longer (and
probably use up all of your RAM) to say a group is isomorphic to U4(3):D8.