[GAP Forum] Maximal Subgroups for O(7,3)

Jack Schmidt jack at ms.uky.edu
Thu Nov 13 07:08:48 GMT 2008

You can use:

gap> g:=AtlasGroup("O7(3)",NrMovedPoints,1080);;
gap> a:=AutomorphismGroup(g);;
Time of last command: 16073 ms
gap> h:=Stabilizer(g,1);;
gap> f:=First(GeneratorsOfGroup(a),f->NrMovedPoints(Image(f,h))=1080);;
gap> k:=Image(f,h);;
gap> chi1:=PermutationCharacter(g,h);;
Time of last command: 3636 ms
gap> chi2:=PermutationCharacter(g,k);;
Time of last command: 12641 ms
gap> chi1=chi2;
false

The paper atlas mentions that these two maximals fuse in the
automorphism group, so you know something like this should work.  The
two conjugacy classes should occur equally often if you are sampling
randomly, so your method should have worked, but this is a simple
direct method.