[GAP Forum] Modified ConjugacyClassesSubgroups?

Joe Bohanon jbohanon2 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 21:14:48 BST 2008

This seems like it will get the job done, however it appears to be
dependent on being able to at least find zuppos of G.  For instance, say
G is the Suzuki sporadic group and H is its smallest maximal subgroup
(an A7).  The filter doesn't apply to the zuppos, and for that group, I
can imagine it would take a very long time to get all of them.  Is there
anything that would get lost by computing zuppos of A7 then collapsing
under conjugacy in Suz?

I'm specifically asking because sometimes the maximal subgroups of some
simple groups have enormous rank elementary abelian subgroups with tons
of subgroups that aren't conjugate in H but end up being conjugate in
G.  I'm just trying to save some time by testing for conjugacy in G on
the front end.  I had one group that was extending class 5,000 to get
class 10,000, and would probably have gobbled up all memory if I'd let it.

Thanks
Joe