[GAP Forum] Decomposing rational modules

Asst. Prof. Dmitrii (Dima) Pasechnik dima at ntu.edu.sg
Sat Sep 27 09:53:36 BST 2008

Dear Gabor, Willem, Peter, all,
Indeed I took the Peter's question as if he didn't mind the field to
be extended.

But even if he did, there are tools available for dealing with Q-irreducible
representations, e.g. the Artin's theorem that basically says that the
character of a rational
representation is a difference of permutation characters, each of the
latter a direct sum of representations induced from a cyclic subgroup,
and the related counting result that says that the number of
irreducible Q-representations equals the number of conjugate cyclic
subgroups. So it does not look completely hopeless to construct all
the Q-irreducibles, if needed.

Regards,
Dima