[GAP Forum] First cohomology question

Andrew Putman andyp at math.mit.edu
Thu Sep 18 05:54:17 BST 2008

Dear GAP Forum,

For some work I've been doing recently, I need to know the following.

Let p be a prime and let g>1.  Denote by Sp(2g,Z/pZ) the symplectic group
over Z/pZ and by V(2g,Z/pZ) the symplectic Lie algebra over Z/pZ with the
adjoint action of Sp(2g,Z/pZ).  I need to calculate
	H^1(Sp(2g,Z/pZ),V(2g,Z/pZ))
for some small p and g (it is known for large p and g).

I am under the impression that GAP can do this, but I am having trouble
figuring out how to do it.  I can figure it out for simpler
representations of Sp(2g,Z/pZ), like the standard one on (Z/pZ)^{2g},
but I can't figure out how to get the adjoint representation.  Thank you
very much for any help!

best,

Andy Putman