[GAP Forum] GAP console frozen

David Joyner wdjoyner at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 00:45:31 BST 2008

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 10:31 AM, b-eide at juno.com <b-eide at juno.com> wrote:
> My GAP console seems to be frozen.
>
> I received the following error:
> exceeded the permitted memory ('-o' command line option at
> B!.heads := gens.heads;
> called from
> BasisVectors(B) called from...
> Entering break read-eval-print loop...
> you can 'quit' to quit to outer loop, or
> you can 'return to continue
> brk>
>
> and I typed 'return' to see if perhaps with more time, I would get a result.
> I was checking if an element was in an ideal.  For those who read my previous posting about "element in ideal (more specific)", I changed Integers to Rationals, and was trying "gap>R4 in I;"  This is the command that led to the error above.
> After leaving the program running overnight, it seems to be frozen.  I can't Cntl C to quit, or Cntrl D to exit to the SAGE console, I can't do anything!!!! I closed the program, restarted the computer, and reopened the program with no change.  Can anyone help?
> -Becky

(It is the policy for GAP Forum questions to be answered in the
Forum for the benefit of other users. The problem has been
resolved off-list, but I'll roughly summarize the suggestions
made by Steve Linton, William Stein and later discovered
by Becky herself.)

In this case, GAP was being used within VMWare. Both GAP and
VMWare allow one to adjust memory allocation. For GAP, one uses the
-o option, for example starting GAP from the command line by
gap -o 1G
On the VMWare side, you can greatly increase the amount of RAM
available to the virtual machine by editing (with notepad) the
.vmx file in the virtual machine folder under windows.

In any case, if the program does lock up due to lack of memory,
you can press ctl-C twice and GAP will respond promptly.
(If you hit ctl-C once, GAP will eventually respond, but not
until garbage collection has finished, which can be very slow.)