[GAP Forum] StructureDescription

Bartosz Putrycz Bartosz.Putrycz at math.univ.gda.pl
Tue Jul 8 09:47:06 BST 2008

> Dear Andries,
>
> Several points:
>
> 1.  StructureDescription works quickly (see next point also) with
>     groups called from the SmallGroups library.  It tends to be
>     much slower with groups described otherwise (e.g., some random
>     presentation).
>
> 2.  A slightly modified version of the program works substantially
>     faster and with less memory; it's my understanding it will be in
>     the next version of gap.  (Thanks Burkhard!)
>
> 3.  Crashing:  This turned out to be a combination of things:  First,
>     some sort of memory problem in our machine.  That's fixed now.
>     I can highly recommend the programs that the gap group makes
>     available for testing memory.
>     Second:  However, in computing large automorphism groups, gap
>     continued to crash the machine.  It appears that this was caused
>     by some interaction with the operating system.  We switch to
>     Scientific Linux (~ RedHat Enterprise 5) last week & the problem
>     seems to have vanished (at least I'm using up to 50+G and the
>     machine hasn't crashed yet).

Dear Keith,

I also noticed problems with StructureDescription, with groups of high rank.
For example extraspecial 2-group of order 128:
"
gap> StructureDescription(SmallGroup([128, 2327]));
exceeded the permitted memory (`-o' command line option) at
"

With change of memory settings it is possible to handle it, but it takes
a lot of time on my machine.

And maybe more challenging:
StructureDescription(SmallGroup([512, 10494212]));

Bartek.