[GAP Forum] New linear algebra package, 'linboxing'

Paul Smith paul.smith at nuigalway.ie
Tue Apr 29 17:52:15 BST 2008

Dear GAP forum,

I'd like to announce a new GAP package called 'linboxing'
(LinBox-in-GAP) that provides an interface between GAP and the LinBox
exact linear algebra library. At present, the package provides
alternative versions of Rank, Determinant and SolutionMat which are much
faster than GAP's native versions when dealing with large matrices over
the integers or large prime fields.

The package needs the LinBox C++ library to be compiled and installed
(see http://www.linalg.org/), and provides a compiled GAP kernel module
that performs the actual interfacing at the kernel-level. It's been
tested under various versions of Linux and on OS X, but won't work on
Windows at the moment.

For more information, see the GAP website at
http://www.gap-system.org/Packages/linboxing.html
or the linboxing website
http://www.maths.nuigalway.ie/~pas/CHA/linboxing/

If you have any problems with installation, please let me know. I'd
welcome any feedback, be it reports of observed gains from using the
package, requests for additional functionality, or any other comments.

Best wishes,

Paul Smith

--
Dr Paul Smith