[GAP Forum] Character Table of some groups.

Frank Lübeck frank.luebeck at math.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Feb 29 08:45:44 GMT 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 03:57:49PM -0500, Hung Ngoc Nguyen wrote:
> Dear Joe, Frank and all,
>
> Thank you very much for your replies. The website Frank gave to me is more
> than what I need.
>
> I have one more question for Frank: In the lists of character degrees
> and their multiplicities, did you put the character degrees (as
> polinomials of q) in increasing order of the degrees of these polinomials.
> I believe so but I just want to make sure.

Dear Hung Nguyen,

The ordering is described on the mentioned webpage:

----
Further remarks

The degrees  are ordered by  increasing size  for sufficiently large  q. But
note  that for  small  special values  of  q the  ordering  can be  slightly
different. Also for some small q some of the degrees may not occur (when the
polynomial describing the multiplicity specializes to zero).
----

In particular, the answer to your question is yes (higher polynomial degree
will give larger numbers when evaluated at sufficiently large q).

Best regards,

  Frank

--
///  Dr. Frank Lübeck, Lehrstuhl D für Mathematik, Templergraben 64,  ///
\\\                    52062 Aachen, Germany                          \\\