[GAP Forum] Two Guava Questions...

David Joyner wdjoyner at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 17:57:59 GMT 2008

On Feb 11, 2008 12:34 PM, Gordon Royle <gordon at csse.uwa.edu.au> wrote:
> Hi..
>
> I have two Guava questions... I have never used it before, so I am
> working from scratch.
>
> (1) Leon's code..
>
> I installed a new copy of GAP and compiled the C code for Leon's
> automorphism group stuff following the instructions.
>
> However if I start GAP and LoadPackage("guava") from any location
> OTHER than $GAPROOT then I get a message "C code not compiled"

I'm not sure if this should be viewed as a bug or not. It it a problem
for you? It has never been a problem for me.

> (2)  Generator Matrices
>
> When I create a code with GeneratorMatCode, it seems to go away and
> precompute a whole pile of stuff taking perhaps minutes to enter a
> code.. what is it doing at this point? Is there a way of making it
> "lazy" so that it only computes things when and if they are asked for...

Some commands have faster method implemented - such as
RandomLinearCode. For most commands, though, it searches some tables
and tries to get estimates for the parameters.  I think that is the
part that takes the most time. Removing that would, I think,
require a significant amount of programming.

> Thanks

Thanks for trying out GUAVA! Hope this helps.