[GAP Forum] specail linear group recognization

Ayan Mahalanobis Ayan.Mahalanobis at stevens.edu
Mon Dec 10 19:58:41 GMT 2007

Hello Forum,

I am trying to find out whether a set generates the special linear group
over a given finite field. In my quest I pick a set of matrices and then
generate the group by them using the Group function. Then I issue the
command group=SL(d,q), where d is the degree of the matrix and the q is
the finite field. But this is not successful even for small d and q.

So basically my question is: Is there a better way to check that a given
group ( given as a matrix group by generators) equals the special linear
group?

Regards,
Ayan