[GAP Forum] Sporadic groups.

Fernando Fantino ffantino at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 02:27:25 GMT 2007

Dear, Forum

I write you in order to do the following question.
With a colleague,  Leandro Vendramin, I am working on some problem related
to finite groups.
In particular, we need to do some computations with the sporadic
groups (G); for instance, we need to compute character
tables of centralizers of (some) elements in G, etc. When the
(sporadic) group is not so long these operation can be implemented
without (serious) problems. But, for instance, in the monster
cases the centralizers are so long that the program cannot do such
a operation. Nevertheless, many of these centralizers are in the
Library of GAP.
THE QUESTION: is that true? In that case, how can I identify them?

I would be happy with any suggestion or reference.
Thank you in advance.

With regards,

F. Fantino.