[GAP Forum] direct sums and counting subgroups

Dmitrii Pasechnik dima at ntu.edu.sg
Sun Nov 25 14:20:34 GMT 2007

Dear Laura,
you¹re right, I wasn¹t thinking straight when I replied (sitting in front of
230 exam papers on calculus 1 that I have to mark in 2 days :( )

anyhow, the count is easy (the only facts needed are essentially that in a
finite cyclic group of order n a subgroup of given order k is unique, k
divides n, and some obvioups properties of the direct sum):

first, there is only one subgroup isomorphic to Z_p x Z_p.

second, a subgroup H=<(x,y)> isomorphic to Z_{p^2} must have the projection
isomorphic to  Z_{p^2} to either the first or to the second summand. (At
this point I rushed to conclusion that there are no more cases to count...)
However, in both cases we have to deal with the projection of H to the other
summand.

First, let x be of order p^2. Then the order of y must divide p^2.
The first case is when the order of y equals p^2.
In the cyclic group of order p^2 there are p^2-p elements of order p^2.
This gives p^2-p possibilities.
The second case is when the order of y equals p.
In the cyclic group of order p there are p-1 elements of order p^2.
This gives p-1 further possibilities.
The third case is when the order of y equals 1.
Such an element is unique.
This gives 1 further possibility.

Now, it remains to consider the case when y is order p^2, and x is of order
either p or 1. Just as above, this gives (p-1)+1=p more possibilites.

Thus, we get p^2+p+1 possibilities in total.
Please let me know if you need to know more details in the above.

--
Dima Pasechnik
http://www.ntu.edu.sg/home/dima/