[GAP Forum] ANN: Native Macintosh OS X GUI

Russ Woodroofe paranoia at math.cornell.edu
Sat Sep 15 15:53:31 BST 2007

	Dear all,

	I'm pleased to announce CocoaGap: a native Macintosh OS X GUI for
GAP.  Version 0.1 is available for download now from SourceForge at

http://cocoagap.sourceforge.net/

Currently, CocoaGap is an almost feature-complete replacement for
xgap.  It allows interaction with the GAP command line, display of
subgroup lattices, inspection of subgroups, and most other features
supported by xgap.  It is probably lacking a few features: command-
line completions is one that I am aware of.

It also has some improvements over running xgap under Apple's X11
environment.  At this time, these are mostly by-products of being a
native program -- Cut/Copy/Paste work as one would expect, the save
dialogs are native (with access to favorites, etc).  There is also
the beginnings of a preferences dialog, and a progress bar while

I hope to make further improvements to CocoaGap as time goes on.  The
Cocoa libraries are quite a bit richer than the X11/Athena libraries,
which should make it easy to add such things as an in-program html
help browser, an application bundle for the entire GAP system, etc.
However, it's likely to be a while before I have time to add such
features, and what exists now works well enough to be helpful.  I
have been using it as my main GAP environment for the last couple of
months, and found it to generally work well.

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

CocoaGap is licensed under the GPL.

	Sincerely,

						--Russ