[GAP Forum] Problem with orbits on RightTransversal

Anvita anvita21 at usa.com
Thu Jul 5 12:36:33 BST 2007

Ah, I see. I was misguided by the following sentence in
Section 37.8 of the Manual:

>Functions that implement group actions such as Action or Permutation
>(see Chapter Group Actions) use PositionCanonical, therefore it is possible to ``act''
>on a right transversal to implement the action on the cosets. This is often much
>more efficient than acting on cosets.

So I thought that, in my case, Orbits would return the orbits with respect to that action
instead of generating an S3-set. The distinction can already be seen
in the following code:

gap>
gap> List(Orbits(Action(S3,RT,OnRight)),Size);
[ 3, 3 ]
gap> List(Orbits(S3,RT,OnRight),Size);
[ 6, 6 ]
gap>