[GAP Forum] (no subject)

James Mitchell jamesm at mcs.st-and.ac.uk
Mon Jun 18 10:31:07 BST 2007

Dear Joao,

If the question is: Let S and T be semigroups of transformations of
degree n where |S|=10 and |T|=11. Then is S a subsemigroup of T?

Then the answer is yes, just use ForAll(S, x-> x in T);

If the question is: Let S be a semigroup of transformations where |S|
=10. Then does there exist T such that |T|=11 and S embeds in T?

Then the answer is no, there is no method installed in GAP to handle
this situation.

If the question is: Let S be a semigroup of degree 10 given by its
Cayley table and let T be a semigroup of degree 11 given by its
Cayley table. Then is S isomorphic to a subsemigroup of T?

Then the answer is: it is possible to do this in GAP but the method
is not efficient. Look at the orbits of the 11 10x10 subtables of the
Cayley table of T inside the symmetric group on 11 points acting on
the pairs (i,j) i, j in {1,...,11}. If the Cayley table for S lies in
any of these orbits, then the answer is yes! Otherwise, the answer is
no. However it might take a long time to tell you an answer.

Let me know if that helps.

Regards,

James