[GAP Forum] tensor product of lie algebra representations

R.N. Tsai r_n_tsai at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 30 20:00:55 BST 2007

Dear gap-forum,

  I have question regarding tensor products of representations of semisimple lie algebra.

  It's easier to setup the question with an example :

  # first define the Lie algebra A2
L   := SimpleLieAlgebra("A",2,Rationals);

  # define V1 as module with highest weight [1,0]; (V1 is 3 dimensional)
w1  := [1,0];
V1  := HighestWeightModule(L,w1);

  # define V2 as module with highest weight [0,1]; (V2 is 3 dimensional)
w2  := [0,1];
V2  := HighestWeightModule(L,w2);

  # define V as tensor product of V1 and V2 (V is 9 dimensional)
V  := TensorProductOfAlgebraModules([V1,V2]);

  # GAP knows how V decomposes into irreducible modules :
w  := DecomposeTensorProduct(L,w1,w2);

  # this prints the decomposition, V = [1,1] (8 dimensional) + [0,0] (1 dimension)
for i in [1..Length(w[1])] do
 Print(" weight=",w[1][i]," multiplicity=",w[2][i]," dimension=", DimensionOfHighestWeightModule(L,w[1][i]),"\n");
od;

  # define basis for V
B := Basis(V);

  My question is the following :

  How would I get a basis for the irreducible constituents of V in terms of B.

  So for the example above, a basis for the 8 dimensional subspace and another for the 1 dimensional one.

  I hope I asked the question correctly and thanks for your help.

  Regards,

  R.N.