[GAP Forum] spin group, finite subgroups

Alexander Konovalov alexander.konovalov at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 11:23:03 BST 2007

Dear Bartosz,

currently there is no immediate function in GAP to construct the
Clifford
algebra. If I understood correctly what are you going to do, that
maybe the
first step should be to find out how to do this.

I think you should be able to construct it using the
AlgebraByStructureConstants
function, see http://www.gap-system.org/Manuals/doc/htm/ref/
CHAP060.htm#SSEC003.5

For example, this is how the QuaternionAlgebra function works, and
quaternion
algebras could be regarded as a special case of Clifford algebras.
You can have
a look on the function QuaternionAlgebra in gap4r4/lib/algsc.gi to
get an idea
how to write your code.

When this will work, you should be able to generate subgroups by
elements of
this algebra, for example:

gap> R:=QuaternionAlgebra(Rationals,1,1);
<algebra of dimension 4 over Rationals>
gap> gens:=GeneratorsOfAlgebra(R);
[ e, i, j, k ]
gap> G:=Group(gens);
#I  default `IsGeneratorsOfMagmaWithInverses' method returns `true'
for [ e, i, j, k ]
<group with 4 generators>
gap> IdGroup(G);
[ 8, 3 ]

Also there is an undeposited implementation relevant to quaternion
algebras
over the Rationals: http://www.geocities.com/assafwool/Quat/Quat.html.

Best wishes,
Alexander