[GAP Forum] transcendental field extensions

Alexander Hulpke hulpke at math.colostate.edu
Fri Apr 13 05:14:19 BST 2007

Dear GAP Forum,

On Mar 31, 2007, at 3/31/07 10:51, Pasha Zusmanovich wrote:

> Dear people,
>
> I have two related questions:
>
> 1. Is it possible to define transcendental field extensions in GAP?
> 2. Is it possible to make calculations in algebras with parametric
> coefficients?

To my knowledge the answer is no. Let me briefly add what is there
and what is missing:

GAP implements arithmetic for the quotient field of the polynomial
ring in countable many indeterminates. However it does not really
implement the field itself as an object, thus it is not possible to
use for example vector space functionality for this.

What is missing is part simple-minded code that defines these
objects. However I fear that there will be secondary functionality
(e.g. basis over a prime field) that is missing as well, thus little
functionality would be available.

Best,

    Alexander Hulpke

-- Colorado State University, Department of Mathematics,
Weber Building, 1874 Campus Delivery, Fort Collins, CO 80523-1874, USA
email: hulpke at math.colostate.edu, Phone: ++1-970-4914288
http://www.math.colostate.edu/~hulpke