[GAP Forum] decomposing regular representation + (AREP package)

Vahid Dabbaghian-Abdoly vdabbagh at sfu.ca
Tue Feb 27 05:50:30 GMT 2007

Dear R.N. and GAP forum,

I am the author of the REPSN package. REPSN is a package for constructing
complex matrix representations of finite groups. Using this package one can
compute an equivalent block diagonal representation of a given reducible
representation.

There was a bug in its version 2.0 that I have fixed that and the new
version will be on the web by the end of this week. But if you want I can
send you its zip file.

In the following example you see how to find an equivalent block diagonal
representation of a regular representation of a group:

gap> g := SmallGroup( 6, 1 );;
gap> G := Image(IsomorphismPermGroup( g ));;
gap> H := TrivialSubgroup( G );;
gap> chi := TrivialCharacter( H );;
gap> Hrep := IrreducibleAffordingRepresentation( chi );;
gap> rep := InducedSubgroupRepresentation( G, Hrep );;
gap> EquivalentBlockRepresentation( rep );

This gives you an equivalent block diagonal representation of rep.

If you have any question you can send me a direct e-mail.

Regards
Vahid

Department of Mathematics
Simon Fraser University