[GAP Forum] *A *F *V *T *E

Steve Linton sal at cs.st-and.ac.uk
Wed Jan 31 08:04:34 GMT 2007

These lines are part of the standard block comments that Martin used before
each "thing" in the source. Essentially they document what type of thing it is
and the rest of the line has outline information on it.

*V -- variable
*F -- function
*E -- end of file
*T seems to be used both for declaring types (in the C sense) and for TODO
notes
*A is unused.

	Steve

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 20:40:38 -0500
Allan Adler <ara at zurich.csail.mit.edu> wrote:

> As I mentioned in my posting, "standards for documenting gap source code",
> there are some emacs commands at the end of some of the source files of
> Gap 3. Their effect is to allow the person reading the file the option
> of only reading certain lines highlighted with one the incipits listed
> in the subject line of this message. Here is the code below. I posted
> to gnu.emacs.help and learned about how this works. What I don't know
> is what Martin Schoenert used these incipits *A *F *V *T *E to signify.
> Each presumably tells something about the line it begins in the source code.
> If you know what each means, please let me know. Thanks.
>
> /***************************************************
> *E  Emacs ................... local emacs variables
> **
> **  Local Variables:
> **  mode: outline
> **  outline-regexp: "*A\\|*F\\|*V\\|*T\\|*E"
> **  fill-column: 73
> **  fill-prefix: "**  "
> **  eval: (local-set-key "\t" 'c-indent-command')
> **  eval: (local-set-key ";" 'electric-c-semi)
> **  eval: (local-set-key "{" 'electric-c-brace)
> **  eval: (local-set-key "}" 'electric-c-brace)
> **  eval: (hide-body)
> **  End:
> */
>
> --
> Ignorantly,
> Allan Adler <ara at zurich.csail.mit.edu>
> * Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT CSAIL. My actions and
> * comments do not reflect in any way on MIT. Also, I am nowhere near Boston.

Steve Linton	School of Computer Science  &
      Centre for Interdisciplinary Research in Computational Algebra
	     University of St Andrews 	 Tel   +44 (1334) 463269
http://www.cs.st-and.ac.uk/~sal 	 Fax   +44 (1334) 463278