[GAP Forum] size of permutation groups

Jack Schmidt jack at ms.uky.edu
Thu Jan 25 16:23:17 GMT 2007

You should have no trouble with n=5,6,7,8,9.  Here is some code which
constructs the permutations K and * on n! and checks if they generate
the symmetric group of size (n!)!.  The code below runs in about one minute.

K:=function(perm,dom)
   return PermList(Concatenation(Reversed(Cycles(perm,dom))));
end;;

for n in [3..9] do
   Sn:=AsSet(SymmetricGroup(n));
   Kn:=PermListList(Sn,List(Sn,p->K(p,[1..n])));
   In:=PermListList(Sn,List(Sn,INV));
   Hn:=Group(Kn,In);
   Print(n,": ",IsNaturalSymmetricGroup(Hn),"\n");
od;

Outputs:
3: false
4: true
5: true
6: false
7: false
8: false
9: false

n=10 is also false, but took more in the 5 minute range. 3-8 is a few
seconds, and 3-9 is about a minute.  These are on an 1.5ghz pc.