[GAP Forum] isoclinism

Robert Heffernan bob.heffernan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 11:33:01 GMT 2007

On 12/19/06, David Joyner <wdjoyner at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry for the long delay (final exams, etc). As you probably guessed,
> the short answer appears to be that at the moment GAP does not
> have the command you want. I personally know nothing about isoclinism
> but Joachim Neubueser was kind enough to send me some information which
> I'll pass on to you:

Thank you for your email.

FYI, In "The Groups of Order 128" (Journal of Algebra 129, 1990)
James, Newman and O'Brien describe an algorithm to determine if two
arbitrary p-groups are isoclinic.  To my knowledge this has not been
implemented in any publicly-available algebra system.

The implementation of such an algorithm (or even the brute-force
approach outlined by Joachim) is peripheral enough to my interests
that I can't really spare the time to implement it (I'm not sure I
have the necessary expertise anyway).  However, it would be a
worthwhile and interesting project for *somebody*, I think.

Bob